Driving a car:
One of the best ways to experience the area of the 2020 Hemingway Society Conference is to fly into Billings International Airport on Sunday, rent a car and drive to Sheridan, Wyoming (2 hours, 133 miles) for the first four nights of the conference. Then on Thursday, a conference travel day, continue on (through Cody for lunch and a tour of the Cody Museum) to Cooke City, Montana (5 hours driving time, 227 miles) where we will spend the next three nights. The conference ends on Saturday night, so on Sunday morning drive the 130 miles, at least 3 hours, of mountain roads back through Beartooth Mountains and Red Lodge arriving late at the Billings airport. Be sure to pack a windbreaker and warm clothing for the trip!
Driving a car from Billings will be a world-class loop that will take you
- through the Little Bighorn Battlefield;
- to Sheridan, Wyoming (where Hemingway finished A Farewell to Arms);
- over the Big Horn Mountains;
- through Cody, Wyoming;
- through the Absoroka Mountains
- to Cooke City, Montana (from where Hemingway sent off final drafts of Death in the Afternoon and To Have and Have Not);
- then over the Beartooth Mountains;
- through Red Lodge, Montana (hometown of Robert Jordan); and
- back to the Billings airport.
Click on More options (above) to send map directions to your phone. Having your own car (or rental) will allow you to go at your own pace, stopping to visit museums, hike, fish, raft, watch wildlife, attend rodeos, visit Yellowstone, etc. This loop will show conference attendees the best of Wyoming, Montana, and Cooke City/Yellowstone, all through a Hemingway-tinted lens. .
Flying to the conference
There are other options, for example attendees can also fly into Casper, Wyoming (2 hours south), Gillette, Wyoming (1.75 hours east) and Rapid City, South Dakota (4 hours) while in SD you can check out MT Rushmore and Devils Tower (Wyoming). There may even be service into Sheridan by the time the conference begins.